Halloween Safety Tips For Pets
other types of sweets that also pose health risks to your pets, so a good rule of thumb is to keep ALL Halloween candy out of the reach of pets.
Candy wrappers can also be dangerous. Empty candy wrappers smell like what was in them, which can entice your pet, and ingestion of foil and cellophane wrappers can cause a life-threatening bowel obstruction requiring surgery. It’s very important to keep all candy wrappers out of the reach of pets.
Some people like to hand out small boxes of raisins instead of candy on Halloween. Or small bags of trail mix that contain raisins. Unfortunately, raisins are toxic to dogs and cats and can potentially cause kidney failure in very small amounts. Chocolate covered raisins pose an even bigger risk.
We don’t often think of candles being dangerous but they can be a fire hazard. You don’t want your kitty wandering across a table or shelf decorated with lit candles, nor do you want your dog getting too curious about a carved pumpkin with a candle inside. Make sure all these types of fire hazards are well beyond your pet’s reach.
Keep glow sticks and glow jewelry away from your pets. Although the liquid in these products isn’t likely toxic, it tastes really bad and can makes pets salivate excessively and act strangely.
During all the fun and commotion, watch that your pet isn’t getting stressed. You may need to find a quiet place in your home to tuck them away. You may even do this before the festivities begin. This may also be a safe option if your pet tends to get out when the door is opened. With all the trick-or-treaters, it may be best to either keep your pet in a safe room or on a leash. Make sure your pet is properly identified (microchip, collar and ID tag) in case s/he escapes through the open door while you’re distracted with trick-or-treaters.
April 19, 2017
February 15, 2017
September 03, 2016